People have been telling you a million times how the scores of your board exam are going to decide your whole career. And you have been dreading about how to ace in every science subject so that you can bag a seat in one of the best engineering colleges in India. And now that you are done with it, you are in a state of confusion because stepping out of high school, you are all prepared to pursue your dream career engineering. But you do not know which college to choose.
We all have been there. We spent sleepless nights wondering how to choose that perfect college that will provide everything. Chances are that you are getting a lot of admission offers from various engineering colleges and institutes. But how do you know which institute would be right for you? After all, taking the wrong decision could affect your overall career. Deciding which engineering stream to take up is the first difficult task to do because there are so many. And then in order to choose the best engineering college, you need to know what to look for.
Here are few things to keep in mind while selecting the best college to pursue your career in engineering:
- Your Strengths and Goals: First things first, It is very important to identify your strengths which will help you to map your aptitude to a specific engineering stream. Also, figuring out which subject you are most passionate about could be an indicator of your goals and choice of the stream. A lot of people know which stream they are going to pursue since middle school because they could identify their passion in a very early stage. On the other hand, a lot of people decide on their choice of a specific stream just before the admission. It is never too late, you just have to take a while to think what are you interested in. Car design? High rise buildings? Computer languages or just some pure abstract thinking? Once you figure out this, you are good to go.
- Aligning your passion with your career: Now that you are all ready to take the giant leap towards engineering, you need to assess your career choice and find the right institute accordingly. You will have to do a survey about the demand of that specific stream before opting a course. Make a list of the different aspects you want from a particular college.
- Finding the right institute: This would involve looking for colleges which offer that specific stream and later analyzing the credibility of the college by looking into multiple factors. It is essential to look for everything in the college which will help you shape a better career. A lot of institutes might offer specific stream that you want, but you also need to evaluate if the course is affordable, if the location of the college suits you, and if you can adjust with the environment there.
- Checking the brand image of the college: When we step out of high school, we step into a new world. Therefore it becomes necessary to land in an environment that will not only be a platform for your career but also will help you to become a better person. Hence, thorough research about the college will help you to understand if the criteria match with the particular college. If that college guarantees whatever you are looking for, only then you can go for it. But how would you know what to research about and what to look for in a particular college? These are few basic things to keep in mind while choosing your college.
- College Brand: Every student looks at the college brand first before anything. It is true that 10 out of 10 people would choose IIT over anything, checking the brand image of the colleges that you shortlisted is equally important. You can start with collecting information about the college history, it’s affiliation, academic excellence, what is the placement status, how many companies come to this college every year and etc. Try and talk to senior students and also take help from other resources to find out about the placements, the status of the particular engineering stream and the future endeavors of the college.
- Geographic Location: Everyone of us feels good and confident when confined in our comfort zone, which is why we hesitate to uproot ourselves and shift to a different city and country altogether. And everyone wants to get the best of their higher studies while staying connected with their friends/family. But sometimes we fail to retain everything. Therefore, choosing your college on the basis of its geographic location should be one of your prime concern as factors like distance from your base, language, cultural issues, eating habits, socio-economic conditions could also affect your overall career. Select your preferred location for studies and then start researching for the top engineering colleges keeping above mentioned factors in mind.
- Affordability: College is an investment, Therefore you can’t really overlook the monetary factor. Knowing the kind of college is useful as Technical Education can slightly be heavy on our pockets. The fee structure of government engineering colleges and other private engineering colleges differs massively. But it is seen that, better administration and professional environment can be found in professional and privately managed colleges. Although, a lot of students opt for education loan these days. Ideally, the amount you will be spending in a college shouldn’t restrict your future options. If at the end of college, you are forced to take a high-paying job just because of the investment, then the initial goal has been compromised.
- Infrastructure: An infrastructure does not just mean having huge buildings. A good college with the right infrastructure must at least have enough number of classrooms as per the college’s intake capacity, computer labs, science laboratories, administrative building, workshops and seminars conducted, etc. The Infrastructure of the institute should be of good standards as that is one of the ways to determine if the college has the potential to deliver good quality education.
- Facilities: Facilities provided by the institute will aid in your study and improve your performance. Hence, you must look into the facilities provided because only a college with good facilities can render quality education. If not top-level facilities, check for the basic facilities like high-speed Internet, library, seminar halls, hostels, cafeteria, first-aid and dispensary, which must be provided.
- Alumni: Alums of the college are also a good index. Through them, you can understand the spread of the career opportunities that the college provides by looking at the variety of their working profiles. If there is a good spread in what these pass-outs are doing, from industrial jobs to IT to government facilities, then it can be said the college provides with opportunities and skill sets that are applicable to varied areas.
- Placements: Placement capability of a college is probably the most important determinant while choosing the college, but it should not be the only criteria. As the placement capability of a particular college depends on a number of factors like rank and reputation of the college, faculty members, past performance of the students in the companies, the talent and skills of the students and also the placement officer’s rapport with the organization across different fields of specialization.
Vemana Institute of Technology is situated in the heart of Bangalore, Koramangla and has been known for years to offer quality education with the best facilities. The institute has a consistent record of 96% placements offered to their students among top companies. Vemana Institute of Technology is known for its state-of-art infrastructure providing fully equipped laboratories and technology along with spacious classrooms and seminar halls. Students from different ethnic groups come here every here to pursue their dream of engineering. Vemana has a team of dynamic faculty each carrying years of experience and expertise who help and groom the students to lead and excel in their corporate journey.